Tuesday 3 February 2009

Size of the task

There aren't too many of us with the Gunnee name. From the current records, such as telephone records and Electoral Rolls, I would estimate that there are around 80 Gunnees living in the UK. There are only a few occurrences of the name abroad, with Gunnees in Australia and Mauritius.

Within the UK the majority of Gunnees live in the Yorkshire area. My earliest records have Gunnee families in the Hull and Thorne areas. Although I haven't been able to fit all the information together, the signs are that anyone with the surname Gunnee will be related to the rest of the clan.

This does at least my task easier, as the list of entries which I need to collect from census records, births, marriages & deaths etc. is relatively easy to complete.

1 comment:

  1. Hi

    I married RUTH Gunnee, daughter of CHRIS GUNNEE, in 1977. As part of putting together all the branches of our family history for our three grown-up boys, I've been wading into the GUNNEE side.

    Starting with Chris's dad, WILLIAM G., in York I came across is grandmother BESSIE, who married CHRISTOPHER GUNNEE of Thorne in 1874. CHRISTOPHER's grandfather was the GEORGE GUNNEE who was born in Hull about 1775.

    I've got most of the marriage, birth certs. etc for all this, though most was dug out on Ancestry - great fun, especially following all the little side shoots, such as GEORGE's two sons who went to London to set up in business.

    Anyway, I'd already followed up the Hull chemist's line as far as GEORGE, b.1820. A couple of points for you to confirm.

    (a) Was GEORGE's father the THOMAS in your article? I picked up his mother I think, (Mary, b.1798 - via 1851 cencus 'druggists wife' lodging in Cottingham).
    (b) Was GEORGE, of Thorne, THOMAS's brother?
    The ages are right'
    (c) What was their father's name? etc
    (d) Is it likely that the family business on Charriot Street, (druggist and paint manufacturing), split, with GEORGE moving to Thorne to paint signs and boats etc, and Thomas and sons carrying on as Druggest etc.

    I note, (1871 cencus), that the Hull GEORGE, still living on Chariot Street, aged 48, had 4 daughters then a single son Tom Henry, who moved to Leeds and became an oyster merchant!
    I don't know who took on the family business, but S. GUNNEE and Co, wholesale druggists, were listed in the Hull trade directories of 1906, 1921 and at least as far as 1949.

    Anyway, look forward to hearing from you.

    Dave Brook
    dave@vinecot77.freeserve.co.uk
    Facebook or
    01302 702747

    ReplyDelete